This Fast Lane developed unique course gives you an introduction to some of the leading open-source tools used to virtualize, manage and automate today’s data center. You will also learn some of the key NetApp features that support the DevOps tools. More than fifty percent (50%) of this course is comprised of real world hands-on labs focused on using the important tools taught in class.
You will learn to use:
- Docker (containerization): Containers can be thought of as very light-weight Virtual Machines. Users can generate containers in a few seconds instead of the minutes it can take to launch a VM and do so at very little cost. Each container creates an isolated execution environment enabling software to run in a predefined state. This greatly facilitates the process of combining and using software from different sources and simplifies the deployment and installation of software.
- Kubernetes (orchestration): Kubernetes manages "fleets" of containers created using Docker and enables your application to scale from 1 to many containers based on user demand. Kubernetes also automatically distributes containers across multiple execution nodes for increased performance and parallelism, and replaces any failed instances to ensure reliability.
- Ansible (automation): Ansible is an advanced multi-system scripting tool that deploys configuration changes to many remote systems.
- Cloud Volumes ONTAP: This is a "virtual instance" of ONTAP that runs as a VM in a cloud environment. You can easily migrate storage to the cloud while retaining all of the features of ONTAP you need: snapshots, SnapMirror, and so on.
Follow On Courses:
- !Introduction to Kubernetes (KUBERNETES)
Who should attend
The course is primarily targeted at developers and storage administrators.
- Basic DevOps Programming skills
- ONTAP Cluster Administration and Data Protection Bundle (CDOTDP9)
- Introduce the DevOps concepts
- Provide an opportunity to work with tools.
- Provide a brief introduction to using DevOps in the data center and a foundation for further vendor-specific learning.
Outline: DevOps in the Data Center (DODC)
Module 1: Software Management and Deployment with Docker
- Docker benefits
- Docker concepts
- Docker deployment model
- Images and containers
- Deploying software
- Publishing to, and installing from, Docker Hub and other registries
Module 2: Container Coordination with Kubernetes
- Kubernetes benefits
- Kubernetes concepts
- Kubernetes deployment model
- Persistent storage
Module 3: Process Automation with Ansible
- Ansible benefits
- Ansible concepts
- Ansible structures and configuration
- Controlling Ansible operations
Module 4: Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Describe Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Describe Cloud Manager
- Describe why to Use Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Using Docker with NetApp Storage
- Using Kubernetes with NetApp Storage
- Using Ansible